Medical laboratory technician perform a variety of laboratory tests and procedures to assist physicians in diagnosing, monitoring, treating and preventing disease. These tests have a wide range of areas ; blood banking, biochemistry, haematology, immunology and microbiology to name a few. Career Prospects are vast like Hospitals, Private Clinics, Diagnostic Centres, Blood Banks, Research And Development Departments Of Pharmaceutical Companies. Medical laboratory technologists may perform a number of different activities or they may specialize in a particular area.
As a medical laboratory technologist, you will:
- Examine body fluids and tissues for abnormal chemical levels, cells or bacteria.
- Prepare tissue for microscopic examination by pathologists.
- Determine blood type for transfusions.
- Conduct medical research and analyses.
- Operates and maintains sophisticated instruments and equipment used in the division, is able to properly set up, calibrate, maintain, operate and shut down such instruments.
- Maintains competence in Laboratory Information System that is crucial to the quality operations of the laboratory and patient care.
- Actively participates in Quality Improvement Programs essential to ensure that laboratory testing is accurate, timely and meets customer needs.